[ZODB-Dev] repozo, neither official nor supported, apparently...

Jeff Shell jeff at bottlerocket.net
Fri Nov 20 10:10:24 EST 2009

On Nov 20, 2009, at 7:32 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> I'd prefer that there be a file-storage backup solution out of the box.
>> repozo is the logical choice.  It sounds like it needs some love though.
>> This isn't something I'd likely get to soon.
>
> I'm not sure how much love repozo needs. It works, and it won't need
> changing until FileStorage's format changes, which I don't see happening
> any time soon.

For what it's worth, I've dealt with broken / unloved / mildly-out-of-date ZODB scripts by making a new package that my little company uses internally. It allowed me to get some useful tools available again, and was independent from any ZODB release cycle.  Now I have additional scripts that get generated by my ZODB-related buildouts with names like 'fsdumpx'.

You could always explore this option, and even do it better than me by sharing with the community. The ZODB 'scripts' are a wild handful of relics, some useful, some not, some just woefully out of date. It would be helpful to have an independent project that provided new or fixed tools that were maintained, were better command-line citizens, had consistent command line options, etc. There's no reason for such a project to be tied to the longer tail of the ZODB release cycle.

So if 'repozo' needs love, even if it's simple love, I would recommend that someone make a 'z3c.zodbtools' or 'z3c.repozo' or 'z3c.fsbackup' project. Hell, I'll look at the package I've made and see if I can do something along those lines as a starting/example point. (I believe my zodbtools package has some dependencies on a couple of internal packages that can not be shared, but I could scrub those uses out).

—
Jeff Shell
jeff at bottlerocket.net