[ZODB-Dev] Limits for mapping fs files

tsmiller tsmiller at gnixterhouse.com
Tue Oct 27 13:37:34 EDT 2009

Jim,
Thanks for the fast response.  As to why.  Part of the reason is ignorance.
When I started working with web applications I had to learn javascript,
python, qooxdoo, cherrypy, zodb, etc.  So when things worked they stayed as
simple as possible.  I would think that there are better ways to accomplish
what I am doing, but what I am doing seems to work and works quite well.

My application is an online marketplace consisting of distinct stores (
books, cars, fabric, music, etc.) in which the client is constantly reading
and writing to the zodb database.  I am using cherryPy on the server side.

1) Actually my app is about to be a collection of marketplaces, each with a
set of stores.  It is feasible that I could have 20 marketplaces and
hundreds of stores in the future.  It makes management very easy by putting
each store in its own file.

2) I write alot to my fs files so I worry about size.  The end users create
and manage their stores and their data and they work on the live database
when they do so.  I think that it may be necessary to change a store to a
(forgive me!) relational database if my files get too big.  For reading and
writing.  Having them broken up into separate files makes this easier also.

3) It is easier to manage.  I can move each store to separate marketplaces
if I wish.  I am trying to make it to where I can change any part of my
system without affecting another.

I have been using this database for about three years now.  Mostly part time
when not doing my real job, but I have recently started to work on software
fulltime.  This database has NEVER corrupted any data or as far as I can
tell screwed up in any way.  It is downright amazing.  You did one hell of a
job.

tom