[ZODB-Dev] Using zodb and blobs

Nitro nitro at dr-code.org
Fri Apr 9 12:45:33 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'm evaluating ZODB for a new project and wondering how to use it in the
optimum way.

First off, there will be rather frequent writes to the storage (up to 10
per second). Almost all writes will not produce any conflict. Most of the
frequent writes will write small objects (<1kb). Occasionally there will
be bigger (~1-10 MB) writes. The final size of the stored data is likely
in the 100s of GB range.

I'm probably going to use a FileStorage, because the db will be accessed
 from a single point for now and networking/multiprocessing with ZEO is not
needed.

Now I've got a few questions left:

- Does it make sense to use ZODB in this scenario?
- What's the difference between storing bigger objects as blobs and as
plain large strings?
- Can I stream in parts of a blob/large string without having to read all
of it?
- Where can I find example code on zodb blobs? E.g. how do I save a blob,
how do I read it back in?
- Are there more complications to blobs other than a slightly different
backup procedure?
- Is it ok to use cross-database references? Or is this better avoided at
all cost?

There will probably crop up more questions later... :-)

Thanks for your input!
-Matthias