[ZODB-Dev] Using zodb and blobs

Adam GROSZER agroszer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 12:00:14 EDT 2010

Hello Christian,

CT> I don't think the transfer rate is actually that interesting. For small
CT> but many transactions the seek time/spinning speed should have the
CT> limiting influence.

CT> I've run the attached script a couple of times on my notebook, here's
CT> the results:

CT> 0.11 909.090909091
CT> 0.15 666.666666667
CT> 0.2 500.0
CT> 0.07 1428.57142857
CT> 0.07 1428.57142857
CT> 0.14 714.285714286

CT> The initial runs are a bit lower as they were interfered with by other
CT> applications writing to the disk.

CT> It's a notebook w/ Intel P9600, Seagate 7.2k SATA drive, 4GB RAM, Ubuntu
CT> 10.04, linux 2.6.32, ext4

Something is wrong with the seek time.
Trying it on an Intel G1 80G SSD goes hardly over a 1000.
NB, P7400 3GB RAM, ubuntu 9.10, ext4

0.14 714.285714286
0.14 714.285714286
0.1 1000.0
0.14 714.285714286

Just for fun, it's flying on a tmpfs

0.36 2777.77777778
0.37 2702.7027027
0.37 2702.7027027

Vmware makes it fly also:
with 1000 runs
on a 4GHz E8400, ubuntu 9.10, ext4 within VMware

0.24 4166.66666667
0.33 3030.3030303
0.26 3846.15384615
0.31 3225.80645161
0.29 3448.27586207

in the VM tmpfs does not boost a lot:

0.2 5000.0
0.2 5000.0
0.2 5000.0
0.19 5263.15789474
0.19 5263.15789474

--
Best regards,
 Adam GROSZER                            mailto:agroszer at gmail.com
--
Quote of the day:
People seem to enjoy things more when they know a lot of other people have been left out of the pleasure.  -  Russell Baker