[ZODB-Dev] zodb book as github pages

Enrique Perez eperez at yaco.es
Thu Aug 5 05:46:54 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but I did not find
any dedicated list for the book, and for such a probably useless
suggestion, I felt this is more volatile than an issue at github.

The suggestion is to (provisionally) publish the zodb book built as html
as github pages [1]. If this sounds like an stupid idea, don't keep
reading :)

The procedure would be something like this:

  * clone the book repository;
  * git ignore _build, and mkdir -p _build/html
  * clone the book (again) whithin (the still empty) _build/html
  * follow the instructions in [1] to make in _build/html an empty
gh-pages branch of the repository
  * make html in the first clone of the book, which will populate the
new gh-pages branch in _build/html

Now, there's an issue in github pages with the _static directory that
sphinx makes, which can be solved by mkdir'ing a "static" directory in
in _build/html and using a script such as what follows to commit and
push the html book to github:

#!/bin/bash

cp -R _static/* static/
find . -name '*.html' -exec sed -i 's/\<_static\>/static/g' {} \;
find . -name '*.html' -exec git add {} \;
git add static/*
git commit -m 'updated docs'
git push origin gh-pages

An example of the result of this procedre can be seen at [2]. There may
be more issues, (for example, search does not work atm in [2], but
without having looked at why, I feel it should be easily solvable).

1.- http://pages.github.com/
2.- http://enriquepablo.github.com/nlproject/

Best regards,

--