[ZODB-Dev] RelStorage: Error Installing Plone Site on Oracle RAC

Darryl Dixon - Winterhouse Consulting darryl.dixon at winterhouseconsulting.com
Thu Dec 2 17:25:23 EST 2010

> [...snip...]
> We have added a new schema to our Oracle RAC database and mount
> point inside Zope, attempted to add a Plone site, and get the following
> error. If everything else remains the same, but the ZODB Mount in the
> zope.conf gets pointed back to a regular ZEO/ZODB, it works fine:
>
> 2010-12-03T10:31:14 ERROR Zope.SiteErrorLog 1291325474.290.650785606429
> http://web-cms-edit-node3.dev.internal:8080/nu-gov-companies-www-preview/manage_addProduct/CMFPlone/addPl
> oneSite
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 119, in publish
>   Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 42, in call_object
>   Module Products.CMFPlone.factory, line 86, in addPloneSite
>   Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 390, in
> runAllImportStepsFromProfile
>    - __traceback_info__: profile-Products.CMFPlone:plone
>   Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 1179, in
> _runImportStepsFromContext
>   Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 1090, in _doRunImportStep
>    - __traceback_info__: content
>   Module Products.CMFCore.exportimport.content, line 37, in
> importSiteStructure
>   Module Products.CMFCore.exportimport.content, line 166, in import_
>   Module Products.CMFCore.exportimport.content, line 185, in _makeInstance
>   Module Products.CMFCore.TypesTool, line 716, in constructContent
>   Module Products.CMFCore.TypesTool, line 278, in constructInstance
>   Module Products.CMFCore.TypesTool, line 290, in _finishConstruction
>   Module Products.CMFCore.CMFCatalogAware, line 148, in
> notifyWorkflowCreated
>   Module Products.CMFCore.WorkflowTool, line 292, in notifyCreated
>   Module Products.CMFCore.WorkflowTool, line 642, in
> _reindexWorkflowVariables
>   Module Products.Archetypes.CatalogMultiplex, line 66, in
> reindexObjectSecurity
>   Module Products.ZCatalog.CatalogBrains, line 52, in
> _unrestrictedGetObject
>   Module OFS.Traversable, line 175, in unrestrictedTraverse
>    - __traceback_info__: (['Members', 'site'], '')
> IndexError: string index out of range
>

> Any thoughts on why RelStorage usage might cause this?

So, it seems that this is a Heisenbug - I instrumented OFS.Traversable to
catch the error, log some stuff, and re-raise... And the site add then
worked without any exception being thrown, no logging appear, etc :-( The
bug otherwise was replicated twice prior to the code change.

That is somewhat worrisome. Anyone who can shed some light?

regards,
Darryl Dixon
Winterhouse Consulting Ltd
http://www.winterhouseconsulting.com