[ZODB-Dev] Location of transient caches

Andy Theyers andy.theyers at isotoma.com
Fri Feb 19 12:38:58 EST 2010

Hi there

Thanks for the speedy responses!

> How big is your database?  How are you talking to the ZEO server?
> TCP or unix domain sockets. Given that they're on the same machine,
> I'd recommend the later, in which case, you may not get that much benefit
> from the caches. You might try using smaller caches.

The database is 600MB (packed).

I realised I needed larger than the default 20MB from reading
http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/ZEOCache, and I got the 300MB from the ZEO
setup section of this document on Plone.org  - http://is.gd/8Jl48
Nothing more scientific than that, I'm afraid!

I wondered if we would be getting much from the caches.  If I moved to
sockets could I reduce the cache size right back down to the default?

>> While under this configuration the site failed due to cache corruption.
>>  This caused us to remove the persistent cache option, again as
>> recommended in various mailing list posts.
>
> Note that the latest versions of ZODB (3.8 and 3.9) have fixed
> most or all (not quite sure :) of the cache corruption issues.

We're Plone 2.5, Zope 2.9, ZODB 3.6.  I've not tried upgrading, and
wouldn't want to unless it was a) easy and b) guaranteed to fix
something that was properly broken.

> ZEO uses the tempfile module for transient caches, which
> honors several environment variables to control where
> temporary files go. You can also control this by setting a tempfile
> module attribute from Python. See the tempfile documentation.

Perfect, thank you!

> (I'd be happy to accept a patch/checkin with test to make this
>  configurable from the ZEO configuration.)

Having spent my day trying and failing to work out how it worked I may
not be the person for the task!

I'll see how I get on

Thank you again for your help

Cheers

Andy
--
Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting - http://www.isotoma.com
Tel: 01904 567349, Mobile: 07725 269250, Fax: 020 79006980

Registered in England.  Company No 5171172.  VAT GB843570325.
Registered Office: 3&4 Park Court, Riccall Road, Escrick, York, YO19 6ED