[ZODB-Dev] Practical experience - ZEO-Server & limited size of file descriptors

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jul 19 11:18:02 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Andreas Gabriel
>> <gabriel at hrz.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> we are hosting a big ZEO based zope site and encountered a problem with a
>>> limited size of file descriptors (FDs) of the ZEO server.
>>>
>>> Scenario
>>>
>>>  36 ZEO clients (each 2 threads)
>>>  1  ZEO server  (serving 10 storages)
>>
>> I advise against serving more than one storage per server.
>
> Why?

Because Python programs can't use much more than 1 CPU and multiple
storage servers in the same process will be slower than in separate
processes, assuming the machine has multiple cores.

Of course, there's also the fd issue, :) which I've never run into
because I always run each storage in a separate server.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton