[ZODB-Dev] RelStorage Questions

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 04:48:51 EDT 2010

Hi Shane,

For all of these, if there are docs, please point me in their direction.
I've been working from:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/RelStorage

In my case, I'm looking at ZODB 3.9.6, Zope 2.12.7 onto MySQL 5.1
provided as a two machine cluster maintained by a hosting company. This
sound good? Any different versions I should look at?

 From the features section: "multiple ZODB instances can share the same
database"; does this mean I can put more than one storage in the same
mysql database? Is this a good idea or should I stick to one storage per
mysql database?

 From the RelStorage options section:

- I'll have one storage with keep-history true and one with it false.
Both will require packing and garbage collection, right? What's the
recommended method and frequency of doing that? I'm guessing the
zodbpack script but wanted to doubt check that does both pack and
garbage collection.

- How do you pick the right pack-duty-cycle?

- poll-interval

- when is it recommended to use memcached caching? How do you decide to
pick what values to use for cache-prefix, cache-local-mb and
cache-delta-size-limit?

- Under what situations would you recommend changing the
commit-lock-timeout from its default of 30 seconds?

 From the MySQL Adapter options section:

- When is/isn't gzip compression a good idea? What is actually being
compressed by this options?

- Should I worry about init_command, read_default_file,
read_default_group and client_flag or just ignore them?

- What does load_infile actually do? Should it be used or avoided?

Sorry for all the questions, hope these aren't too much of a pain to answer!

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk