[ZODB-Dev] transaction commits don't have to write data?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Oct 14 12:37:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> On 14/10/2010 01:21, Chris Withers wrote:
>>
>> On 13/10/2010 15:23, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>>
>>> You can connect to the monitor port in 3.9 and earlier,
>>> if the monitor port is configured.  In 3.10, the monitor server is
>>> replaced by a ZEO client method, server_status. This tells you
>>> much the same information that's in the log messages.
>>
>> Okay, monitor port up and running now.
>> I see commits listed when I'm not expecting any.
>
> ...but using fstail, I see no new transactions in the last 6 hrs.

And is the file being modified? Gowing?

> Is it normal/ok/etc to commits in the monitor server output but without and
> actual transaction showing up in fstail?

No.  It may be possible to commit empty transactions. I don't remember if
the storage server tries to avoid this. (It may in 3.10.)

See if the "stores" number is increasing. If stores is increasing, but the file
isn't changing, there's definitely a problem.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton