[ZODB-Dev] Status of gocept.zeoraid

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Oct 20 15:46:17 EDT 2010

On 10/20/2010 07:11 PM, Chris Withers wrote:
> On 20/10/2010 17:03, Sylvain Viollon wrote:
>>     One of my customers would like to use gocept.zeoraid in production.
>>     So him, and I have some questions:
>>
>>     - Is it stable enough to be used in production ?
>
> No.

Ack. It's called beta.

I do need people interested in using it to try it out *seriously*, though.

Chris hit quite a wall even when testing it for a while. I've got some
data from that but the lesson is: don't think it's ready for (your)
production if you haven't run it in (your) production successfully.

>>     - Does it bring speed improvements over regular ZEO setup (I don't
>>       think so) ?
>
> No. It is currently 5 times slower when tested with zodbshootout.

And there will likely never will be speed improvements over regular ZEO.
I was a bit shocked when I looked at the actual slowness, but then
again, I didn't think about performance at all.

(In standalone mode there is a slight chance that you can load
read-requests off to multiple backend servers. Haven't tried it, though.
And it won't be available in co-op mode.

>>     - Does it work with blobs ? I will have a blob directory shared
>>       between different servers. Can I use it to access and edit directly
>>       the blob in that directory ?
>
> Don't know.

Nope. The blob directory (even with regular ZODB) is a managed area like
the data in your Data.fs. (You wouldn't go editing that data with your
editor, would you?)

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com