[ZODB-Dev] "MySQL server has gone away" with RelStorage

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 12:55:05 EDT 2010

On 23/10/2010 18:48, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On 10/23/2010 01:29 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
>> Hi Shane,
>>
>> With the server I'm testing on, when coming back to test after a couple
>> of days working on something else, I get the following logged at Warning:
>>
>> Reconnecting load_conn: (2006, 'MySQL server has gone away')
>>
>> Does this mean the reconnection is being handled by RelStorage or that I
>> need to do some work?
>
> That just means MySQL is timing out connections, which is fine. That
> message was probably followed immediately by an info message saying that
> it reconnected.

Yep, that matches.

>> Also, after this, it seems life the ZODB object cache is emptied.
>> Is that happening or is it just my imagination?
>
> That's possible, but reconnection alone should not cause it.

What could cause a cache to empty like this?

More worryingly, another of the test sites (these sites only get hit in
patches every few days when people come to do test runs) just timed out
this morning. I can't see any evidence of the timed out requests in
either the access log nor anything in the event log.

Restarting Zope appeared to fixed the problem, but I'm slightly confused
as I can't find any entries in the logs of the Apache instance that sits
in front of the test instances for the failed requests...

Has anyone seen anything like this?

cheers.

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk