[ZODB-Dev] [RFC] ZEO: Allow non-packaged products

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Fri Apr 29 09:39:19 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Vincent Pelletier <vincent at nexedi.com> wrote:
> I need ZEO to be able to find non-packaged products for conflict resolution
> purposes. As ZEO AFAIK doesn't support this I gave it a quick try. I reached
> the "works for me" state, that I now would like to get feedback on.
>
> Basically, I transposed Zope's "products" config option to ZEO.
>
> Did I miss anything already existing to achieve this ?

You can achieve this by adding a normal directory to sys.path:

1. create a base directory
2. create a directory called 'Products' in it
3. put the setuptools magic into an __init__.py into the Products
directory so it contains:
__import__('pkg_resources').declare_namespace(__name__)
4. add any of your plain 'products' into the Products folder
5. add the base directory to sys.path

> Is such change (functionality-wise) welcome in ZEO ?

I think it makes little sense to introduce a special legacy Zope2
concept to ZODB3. Especially since there's an easy workaround like
described above and actually repackaging products into full packages
is a 15 minutes job each.

Hanno