[ZODB-Dev] RelStorage and MySQL wait-timeout

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Feb 1 12:45:08 EST 2011

On 02/01/2011 10:01 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
> OperationalError: (2006, 'MySQL server has gone away')
>
> ...which feels a little on the serious side for (what is for MySQL)
> quite a normal situation to be in.

Random disconnects are unacceptable for RelStorage.  If MySQL goes away
outside transaction boundaries, we *have* to propagate the exception to
the application; otherwise consistency is lost.  We can only reconnect
at the next request or transaction boundary.

> (Mike Bayer could probably shed some light given the connection pool
> stuff that SQLAlchemy does to deal with MySQL's behaviour...)

Unfortunately, the generic behavior implemented by SQLAlchemy would not
work here.  It would scramble ZODB.

Shane