[ZODB-Dev] Relstorage database permissions

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Tue Feb 22 17:10:22 EST 2011

Hi,

Normally RelStorage creates the database tables for you and the user you
have specified is the owner of those tables.  For security reasons a
client does not want this, but wants a different user to own the tables
and instead only grant some permissions to the relstorage user.  I guess
theoretically there could be a bug in the relstorage code that could
lead to more problems when the relstorage user has full rights to those
tables.  I am not losing any sleep over fears like that though. :-)

But putting aside a potentially distracting discussion about whether
this extra security is needed: which permissions does relstorage really
need?  Select, update, insert and delete are obvious.  I have seen that
packing also needs the truncate permission.  Everything seems to work
with this combination.

But for that extra bit peace of mind: am I overlooking a permission?

This is on postgres btw.

--
Maurits van Rees
Web App Programmer at Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl