[ZODB-Dev] Plone in P2P using Zope over DHT

Aran Dunkley aran at organicdesign.co.nz
Tue Jan 4 00:23:02 EST 2011

Hi, I'm part of a development team who are helping an organisation to
architect a CMS based project that they want to work in a P2P network
rather than using a centralised web-server. We'd prefer to use an
existing popular CMS as a starting point so that it is mature, has a
large development community and a wide range of extensions/modules
available.

>From our initial research it seems that Plone should be more capable of
moving in to the P2P space due to it using ZODB rather than SQL and that
ZODB seems able to be connected to a variety of storage mechanisms. I'm
wondering what you guys, the core developers, think of the
practicalities of Plone in P2P, for example could ZODB use a DHT as its
storage layer? what kind of querying is required on the DHT?

We have a good budget available for this and will be developing it as a
completely free open source component, so we'd also like to hear from
developers who may be interested in working on the project too.

Thanks,
Aran