[ZODB-Dev] [Plone-developers] ZODB on a DHT for P2P Plone

Aran Dunkley aran at organicdesign.co.nz
Fri Jan 7 15:38:12 EST 2011

Hi, after looking in to Plone/ZODB we've found that it will not be an
appropriate technology for P2P use.

Firstly Plone would need to be modified greatly to ensure that it works
in a way where it maintains indexes rather than performing real-time
queries due to the high latency and intermittent availability of peers.

>From the ZODB aspect the closest storage layer to working in P2P is NEO,
but Vincent from the NEO developer team pointed out that it won't be
ready for P2P for some time yet:
------------
> As one of the NEO team, what are your thoughts on the practicality of
> running Plone in a P2P environment with the latencies experienced in
> standard DHT (such as for example those based on Kademlia)
> implemtations?
First, I must say that we have not run any benchmark on NEO outside LAN
conditions yet, because there are some issues which need attention
before we can increase test hostility. To name a few blockers, there is
a need for "peaceful" deadlock resolution/avoidance when the same set of
objects gets modified concurrently, and an important "from scratch"
replication performance issue. Another show-stopper for NEO
production-readiness is the lack of backup tools, as NEO currently
relies on storage back-end tools (eg. mysqldump) and on a replication
scheme which is not implemented (useful in a all-nodes-in-datacenter
setup, not if nodes are to be scattered around the globe).
On the bright side, we have found a technology which looks very
promising which is Squeak (open source Smalltalk) and the Seaside web
application framework, so we'll be pursuing this route more deeply for a
while. Thanks all for your advice and feedback :-)
Cheers,
Aran