[ZODB-Dev] Twisted, ZODB and zc.twist

Gary Poster gary.poster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 20:30:51 EDT 2011

On Jul 28, 2011, at 6:38 PM, Erik Allik wrote:

> Gary, since you're the author of zc.twist (as I understand), I take
> this as an exhaustive answer, and thank you :)
>
> However, I'm still curious to know zc.twist would provide any benefit
> when used together with a thread pool.
> The thread examples in its README (which I find hard to understand)
> indicate that there must be some meaning to using zc.twist with
> threads.

The threads in the README are there to let me explore a running reactor within the doctest.  They are not anything to emulate.

The README overstates zc.twist's usefulness.  As you point out, it blocks.  If you assume that the ZODB is functioning normally, it won't block "much" but with standard definitions of blocking, it fails.  For zc.async, that's fine--but a "while True" loop and a time.sleep() to give some breathing room probably would have been fine, with hindsight, and much simpler.  The use of Twisted is a very questionable convenience, and the way zc.async uses Twisted is not to be copied 99% or more of the time.

Gary