[ZODB-Dev] Wrong blob returned in one of the zeo clients

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Tue Mar 1 18:32:07 EST 2011

Op 01-03-11 23:53, Hanno Schlichting schreef:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Shane Hathaway<shane at hathawaymix.org>  wrote:
>> On 03/01/2011 02:47 PM, Maurits van Rees wrote:
>>> - ZODB3 3.8.6-polling
>>>
>>> Blobs are stored in postgres with RelStorage.  Layout of the blob cache
>>> dir is 'zeocache'.
>
> I should have spotted this earlier. The zeocache layout was only
> introduced in ZODB 3.9. I'm surprised it doesn't fail in worse ways
> under 3.8.

For the biggest part it actually seems to work initially.  It starts
being weird though when you see a list of organization charts that are
clearly not charts, or a list of 8 cartoons of which one is a wrongly
scaled logo.

>> I reproduced your setup and I think I found it: "shared-blob-dir false"
>> seems to be incompatible with ZODB 3.8, because the blob code in ZODB
>> 3.8 constructs blob filenames in an inflexible way.  IOW,
>> BlobCacheLayout was never intended to work with ZODB 3.8.  I expect my
>> test runner to confirm this within the next couple of hours, then I'll
>> make it so "shared-blob-dir false" is not available with ZODB 3.8.
>
> Indeed.

Sounds good.  Thanks for looking at this, Shane and Hanno.

As a workaround for getting blobstorage to work reliably in a relstorage
setup without a shared blob dir: is there any way to store the blobs
completely in postgres and have no shared or cached blob dir in the zeo
clients?  If that would work it should still be easier on memory usage.
  It looks like a directory is really needed though, as trying this I
get: "Unsupported: No blob directory is configured."

--
Maurits van Rees
Web App Programmer at Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl