[ZODB-Dev] detect zodb with the unix tool 'file' (contrib)

Stéphane Blondon stephane.blondon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 09:23:31 EST 2011

2011/9/7 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com>:
> 2011/9/6 Stéphane Blondon <stephane.blondon at gmail.com>:
>> # Cache file for the database of Zope (done by ClientStorage)
>> 0       string  ZEC3    Zope Object Database Client Cache File (data)
>
> Question: What is the significance of "(data)"?

It's a convention in order to help understanding what the file is. For
that, the output of `file` should includes one of the words "text",
"executable" or "data" in the description. I suppose it's mainly used
for shell scripting (with a pipe to `grep`  for example).

In the manpage of `file` on my system (Debian testing):
 - "The type printed will usually contain one of the words _text_ (the
file contains only printing characters and a few common control
characters and is probably safe to read on an ASCII terminal),
_executable_ (the file contains the result of compiling a program in a
form understandable to some UNIX kernel or another), or _data_ meaning
anything else (data is usually ‘binary’ or non-printable).  Exceptions
are well-known file formats (core files, tar archives) that are known
to contain binary data.  When adding local definitions to /etc/magic,
make sure to _preserve_ _these_ _keywords_."

That's why I added it. I know that some other descriptions paste the
filetype in parenthesis at the end of the line. If you think there is
a better description including the filetype, don't hesitate to say it.

--
Imprimez ce message en A2 et en couleur au moins 500 fois!
Brûlez des arbres!!

-- envoyé depuis ma centrale à charbon
Stéphane