[ZODB-Dev] [announce] NEO 1.0 - scalable and redundant storage for ZODB

Julien Muchembled jm at nexedi.com
Wed Aug 29 16:37:22 UTC 2012

Le 08/29/12 15:54, Leonardo Santagada a écrit :
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Vincent Pelletier <vincent at nexedi.com> wrote:
>> We've just tagged the 1.0 NEO release.
>
> any plans to support pypy in NEO?

We're looking at pypy from time to time but there are at least 3 reasons preventing us to use it for NEO:

- sqlite3 is still significantly slower on pypy so it could not be used for SQLite backend.
  I've just tested the example on https://bugs.pypy.org/issue1070 with version 1.9.0 and it's more than 2 times slower and  what is suggested on https://bugs.pypy.org/msg3088 does not help.
- MySQLdb is C module. We'd have to use another library for MySQL backend but that should be quick to implement.
- For the client part, as you say, it depends on ZODB.

So it should be possible to use pypy with admin/master/storage nodes and maybe get better performance with MySQL backend.

> Once ZODB start to run on pypy it
> would be cool to have relstorage/zeo or neo running on it as well.

Julien