[ZODB-Dev] Build compression into ZODB 3.11?

Jürgen Herrmann Juergen.Herrmann at XLhost.de
Tue Mar 20 14:31:02 UTC 2012

Am 20.03.2012 15:27, schrieb Jim Fulton:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>
>> At some point soonish, I'll do some
>> tests against a large database.
>
> On a database with 180 million records, 150 million of which
> are compressable:
>
>            Compressed        Compress      Uncompress
>            Size % of         time          time
>            uncompressed      microseconds  microseconds
> zlib        38                96           12.5
> lz4         52                7.4          1.6
>
> lz4 is an order of magnitude faster than zlib, however,
> lz4-compressed records were 36% larger.
>
> For me, I don't think the speedup is worth the loss of compression.
>
> Jim

Do you have an estimation on how much of the whole store cpu time
is used for compression?

best regards,
jürgen
--
>> XLhost.de ® - Webhosting von supersmall bis eXtra Large <<

XLhost.de GmbH
Jürgen Herrmann, Geschäftsführer
Boelckestrasse 21, 93051 Regensburg, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Herrmann
Registriert unter: HRB9918
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE245931218

Fon:  +49 (0)800 XLHOSTDE [0800 95467833]
Fax:  +49 (0)800 95467830
Web:  http://www.XLhost.de