[ZODB-Dev] database conflict fail

Claudiu Saftoiu csaftoiu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 23:13:26 UTC 2012

> Stop!  Before you go down that road, application-level conflict resolution
> if an extremely advanced feature.  It's on the same level as meta classes
> and custom import hooks in a Python.  It's a last resort (or maybe the one
> after that).
>
> The first thing you need to ask yourself is why your application wants to
> update the same value from multiple threads.  This is a hot spot.
> Hot spots: bad.  Most applications will need to update the same value from
> multiple threads occasionally.  Occasionally retrying is fine.
>
> If your application wants to update the same value from multiple
> threads often, then that's a design problem you should solve.

Thanks for the advice, Jim. I was going for an all-or-nothing approach
(leave
all conflicts in, or try to eradicate all of them), but it does seem like
some of
them are quite easy to resolve, and others don't matter at all if they
happen
rarely. I'll take care to see if there are any other solutions, and that
it's
important, before going to the application-level conflict resolution.

- Claudiu