[ZODB-Dev] RFC: ZODB 4.0 (without persistent)

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Fri Oct 19 15:32:53 UTC 2012

On 10/14/2012 06:23 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Laurence Rowe <l at lrowe.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 14 October 2012 22:49, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

>>> FileStorage uses BTrees for it's in-memory index.
>>>
>>> MappingStorage used BTrees.
>>>
>>> There are ZODB tests that use BTrees, but I suppose they could be
>>> fixed.
>>>
>>> I just don't think the win is that great in separating BTrees at
>>> this time.
>>
>> I don't think Hanno is suggesting removing BTrees as a dependency
>> from ZODB but rather breaking out the BTrees package into a
>> separate PyPI distribution to make it more visible to potential
>> users outside of the ZODB community, e.g.
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/exj74/btree_c_extension_module_for_python_alpha/
>

> I had the impression that Tres was proposing more. <shrug>

Nope.  I just meant to break BTrees out and have ZODB depend on it.  I
thought is would be helpful to decouple the release process a bit, e.g.
so that the "pure-python BTrees" stuff could move forward independently
of the bigger ZODB release cycle.

>> To do that, refactoring tests shouldn't be required. I guess it
>> could be argued that the fsBTree should be part of the ZODB rather
>> than BTrees distribution, but leaving it where it is would be much
>> easier.
>
> Yup.
>
> If someone wants to do this in the next couple of days, it would be
> welcome.  I really want to get these releases going. (And I have
> limited time.)

I have split BTrees out to a separately-releasable project:

  http://svn.zope.org/BTrees/trunk/

If going forward with that is OK, I would be glad to do the work to:

 - Release BTrees

 - Update ZODB trunk to depend on it

by the end of the weekend.

Tres.