[ZODB-Dev] RFC: Python2 - Py3k database compatibility

Stephan Richter stephan.richter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 00:02:41 UTC 2013

On Friday, April 26, 2013 05:34:15 PM Tres Seaver wrote:
> I would like to merge this branch to master early next week and make a
> release, so that we can evaluate merging the 'py3' branch of ZODB.
>
> Thoughts?  Note that I have not yet addressed the portions of my proposal
> which deal with analyzing / converting existing databases, or with the
> possibly-needed wrapper storage (for on-the-fly conversion).

Let's do it. This way people can test ZODB 4 on their existing Py2 code bases
and we at CH can test our uibuilder/demo on Python 3. This will give us at
least some confidence that we are going in the right direction.

We might consider not even tackling DB conversions for ZODB 4.0 and delay that
to ZODB 4.1 or leave it even up to an add-on package. This way people can
experiment with different approaches and we do not have to nail the conversion
problem with ZODB 4.0.

Regards,
Stephan
--