[ZODB-Dev] RFC: Python2 - Py3k database compatibility

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Apr 29 13:48:05 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Stephan Richter
<stephan.richter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, April 28, 2013 07:23:12 PM Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Can ZODB 4 be used now without zodbpickle?
>
> No, unfortunately for Py2 we need the custom cPickle and for Py3 `noload()`
> support (as Tres mentioned).

This is a problem.

The only change in ZODB 4.0 was supposed to be the breakup.

This was supposed to be a low-risk release.  The separation into
multiple packages was supposed to increase agility, but now it
appears we're stuck.

I'd like there to a stable 4.0 release **soon**
that doesn't use zodbpickle for Python 2.

For now, I suggest we focus on stability and the ability to make progress
on non-Python-3-related work.

After that is achieved, I suggest we get to the point where people can
create new databases and use them with Python 3.  We need to do
this without hindering the ability to make new stable releases.

As far as the grander vision for Python2/3 transition and interoperability,
we need to make progress incrementally and not sacrifice stability
of the master branch.

I made the 3.11 release fully expecting a stable 4.0 release soon.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton