[ZODB-Dev] RFC: Python2 - Py3k database compatibility

Stephan Richter stephan.richter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 00:37:23 UTC 2013

On Monday, April 29, 2013 01:50:22 PM Jim Fulton wrote:
> Whether 4.0 supports Python 3 or not, let's quickly get to the point where
> tests are run and pass on both Python 2 and 3.  Once we get to that point,
> we won't accept pull requests that break Python 3 (or 2, of course).
> But let's get to the point soon where we can make Python 2 releases
> with confidence.

Well, that's the py3 branch. As Tres mentioned, zodbpickle is ready for Py3
with noload() support. I totally agree that we do not need to solve any of the
transition work now.

So for ZODB Py3 support we need to:

1. Merge the py3 branch into trunk.
2. Simplify zodbpickle to just contain the cPickle code that is Py3
compatible.

I do not care whether this happens for ZODB 4.0 or 4.1 as long as I get some
commitment that 4.1 with Py3 support is happening quickly (i.e. not in the
order of many months).

Regards,
Stephan
--