[ZODB-Dev] Relstorage and over growing database.

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Sat Feb 2 21:38:29 UTC 2013

On 02/01/2013 09:08 PM, Juan A. Diaz wrote:
> Reading the some comments [0] in the code
> (relstorage/adapters/schema.py) I could see that the object_ref
> database is uses during the packing, then the question is, in a
> history-preserving database there is something that we could do to
> decrease the size of that table? could be safe truncate that table? We
> want to move to a storage with history-free, but for now we are
> looking some options and actions to perform on production without the

object_ref is essentially a cache of object_state, and object_refs_added
is a list of what's in that cache.  Therefore you can freely truncate
object_ref as long as you also truncate object_refs_added.  Don't
truncate them during packing, though.

> When we realize that the size of the database was over growing we
> start to make daily packs but now after read this comment I start to
> think that that could be now part of the problem, could be? Normally
> in a normal day the DB grows like 2.2GB, but after make a pack the DB
> size is decrease clouse to 1.5GB or 2GB.

If your database grows by 2.2 GB per day, it's not surprising that the
database is 15 GB.  With drive and RAM sizes today, 15 GB doesn't sound
like a problem to me... unless it's on a Raspberry Pi. :-)

Shane