[ZODB-Dev] zodb conversion questions

Jürgen Herrmann Juergen.Herrmann at XLhost.de
Thu Feb 7 15:48:36 UTC 2013

Am 06.02.2013 15:05, schrieb Jürgen Herrmann:
> Hi there!
>
> I hav a relstorage with mysql backend that grew out of bounds
> and we're looking into different backend solutions now. Possibly
> also going back to FileStorage and using zeo...
>
> Anyway we'll have to convert the databases at some point. As these
> are live DBs we cannot shut them down for longer than the
> ususal maintenance interval during the night, so for maybe 2-3h.
>
> a full conversion process will never complete in this time so
> we're looking for a process that can split the conversion into
> two phases:
>
> 1. copy transactions from backup of the source db to the destination
>    db. this can take a long time, we don't care. note the last
>    timestamp/transaction_id converted.
> 2. shut down the source db
> 3. copy transactions from the source db to the destination db,
> starting
>    at the last converted transaction_id. this should be fast, as only
>    a few transactions need to be converted, say < 1% .
>

> if i would reimplement copyTransactionsFrom() to accept a start
> transaction_id/timestamp, would this result in dest being an exact
> copy of source?
>
> source = open_my_source_storage()
> dest = open_my_destination_storage()
> dest.copyTransactionsFrom(source)
> last_txn_id = source.lastTransaction()
> source.close()
> dest.close()
>
> source = open_my_source_storage()
> # add some transactions
> source.close()
>
> source = open_my_source_storage()
> dest = open_my_destination_storage()
> dest.copyTransactionsFrom(source, last_txn_id=last_txn_id)
> source.close()
> dest.close()

I will reply to myself here :) This actually works, tested with a
modified version of FileStorage for now. I modified the signature
of copyTransactionsFrom to look like this:

def copyTransactionsFrom(self, source, verbose=0, not_before_tid=None):

not_before_tid is a packed tid or None, None meaning "copy all"
(the default, so no existing API usage would break).

Is there public interest in modifying this API permamently?
Anybody want to look at the actual code changes?

best regards,
Jürgen Herrmann
--
>> XLhost.de ® - Webhosting von supersmall bis eXtra Large <<

XLhost.de GmbH
Jürgen Herrmann, Geschäftsführer
Boelckestrasse 21, 93051 Regensburg, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Herrmann
Registriert unter: HRB9918
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE245931218

Fon:  +49 (0)800 XLHOSTDE [0800 95467833]
Fax:  +49 (0)800 95467830
Web:  http://www.XLhost.de