[ZODB-Dev] repoze.catalog.query very slow

Claudiu Saftoiu csaftoiu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 21:50:42 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Am I doing something wrong with my queries, or is repoze.catalog.query very
slow?

I have a `Catalog` with ~320,000 objects and 17 `CatalogFieldIndex`es. All
the objects are indexed and up to date. This is the query I ran (field
names renamed):

    And(InRange('float_field', 0.01, 0.04),
        InRange('datetime_field', seven_days_ago, today),
        Eq('str1', str1),
        Eq('str2', str2),
        Eq('str3', str3),
        Eq('str4', str4))

It returned 15 results so it's not a large result set by any means. The
strings are like labels - there are <20 things any one of the string fields
can be.

This query took a few minutes to run the first time. Re-running it again in
the same session took <1 second each time. When I restarted the session it
took only 30 seconds, and again 1 second each subsequent time.

What makes it run so slow? Is it that the catalog isn't fully in memory? If
so, is there any way I can guarantee the catalog will be in memory given
that my entire database doesn't fit in memory all at once?

Thanks,
- Claudiu