[ZODB-Dev] what's the latest on zodb/zeo+memcached?

Claudiu Saftoiu csaftoiu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:38:56 UTC 2013

> I wonder if disk latency is the problem?. As a test you could put the
> index.fs file into a tmpfs and see if that improves things, or cat
> index.fs > /dev/null to try and force it into the fs cache.

Hmm, it would seem not... the cat happens instantly:

    (env)tsa at sp2772c:~/sports$ time cat Data_IndexDB.fs > /dev/null

    real    0m0.065s
    user    0m0.000s
    sys     0m0.064s

The database isn't even very big:

    rw-r--r-- 1 tsa tsa 233M Jan 18 14:34 Data_IndexDB.fs

Which makes me wonder why it takes so long to load it into memory.... it's
just a bit frustrating that the server has 7gb of RAM and it's proving to
be so difficult to get ZODB to keep ~300 megs of it up in there. Or,
indeed, if linux already has the whole .fs file in a memory cache, where
are these delays coming from? There's something I don't quite understand
about this whole situation...

- Claudiu