[ZODB-Dev] what's the latest on zodb/zeo+memcached?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jan 19 15:12:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Leonardo Santagada
<santagada at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>>
>> - solr is so fast it almost makes me want to cry.  At ZC, we're
>>   increasingly using solr instead of the catalog.  As the original
>>   author of the catalog, this makes me sad, but we just don't have the
>>   time to put in the effort to equal solr/lucene.
>

> We are using it on some projects also... But deploying java is as
> complicated as python to deploy so it increases 2x the deployment work
> needed for a project.

Yup, integration is a downside, which is why we still use
catalogs or related indexing structures too.

> Do you think this could be a good idea, to have an
> integrated solution of ZODB for object persistence and integrated indexing
> using Whoosh?

I have no idea. I'm not familiar with whoosh.

> Probably what would be needed is a project to wrap them
> together, that does indexing during the commit and exposes an indexing api,
> like marking fields in persistent objects for indexing and having methods
> for searching the index.

<shrug>

I know people have come up with tools to index ZODB objects
with lucene in the past.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton