[ZODB-Dev] BTrees and ZODB simplicity

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Jul 21 05:43:42 CEST 2013

Third rant, dear Zope-Friends (and I mean it as friends!).

In an attempt to make the ZODB a small, independant package, ZODB
has been split into many modules.

I appreciate that, while I think it partially has the opposite effect:

- splitting BTrees apart is a good idea per se.
    But the way as it is, it adds more Namespace-pollution than benefits:

    To make sense of BTrees, you need the ZODB, and only the ZODB!
    So, why should then BTrees be a top-level module at all?

    This does not feel natural, but eavesdropping, pretending as something
    that is untrue.

I think:

  - BTrees should either be a ZODB sub-package in its current state,

  - or a real stand-alone package with some way of adding persistence as
    an option.

* there is a conclusion following as well.

Thanks for audience this far ;-)

cheers - chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023