[ZODB-Dev] make ZODB as small and compact as expected

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Jul 21 06:12:34 CEST 2013

This is my last emission for tonight.

I would be using ZODB as a nice little package if it was one.

There should be nothing else but

     ZODB.<some_package>

Instead, there is

     BTrees
     persistent
     transaction
     zc.lockfile
     zc.zlibstorage
     ZConfig
     zdaemon
     ZEO
     ZODB
     ZODB3   (zlibstorage)
     zope.interface

and what I might have forgotton.

Exception:
There is also
     zodbpickle
which I think is very usefull and general-purpose, and I wan to keep it,
also I will try to push it into standard CPython.

So, while all the packages are not really large, there are too many
namespaces
touched, and things like "Zope Enterprize Objects" are not meant to be here
as open source pretending modules which the user never asked for.

I think these things could be re-packed into a common namespace
and be made simpler. Even zope.interface could be removed from
this intended-to-be user-friendly simple package.

So while the amount of code is astonishingly small, the amount of
abstraction layering tells the reader that this was never really meant to
be small.

And this makes average, simple-minded users like me shy away and go
back to simpler modules like Durus.

But the latter has serious other pitfalls, which made me want to re-package
ZODB into something small, pretty, tool-ish, versatile thing for the pocket.

Actually I'm trying to re-map ZOPE to the simplistic Durus interface,
without its short-comings and lack of support.
I think a successfully down-scaled, isolated package with ZODB's
great implementation, but a more user-oriented interface would
help ZODB a lot to get widely accepted and incorporated into very
many projects.
Right now people are just too much concerned of implicit complication which
actually does not exist.

I volunteer to start such a project. Proposing the name "david", as opposed
to "goliath".

cheers -- chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023