[ZODB-Dev] Relstorage: postgres reports IDLE connection after first database write

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 13:02:06 CEST 2013

Hi,

Recently we realized Relstorage seems to start and never close a
database connection after the first write. This database connection is
reported to IDLE in postgres.

Note: this IDLEing connection is only started after adding an object to
a "container" - in our testing a Zope application root. Storing an
attribute on the app root, seems to not result in leaving an IDLEing
connection.

Quick question: is this expected behaviour?

Kind regards, jw

ps. We suspected that his IDLEing connection keeps postgres from
succefully running its auto vacuuming task, but we're actually not sure
about that.