[Zope-Annce] Oedipus v0.05 released

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:14:34 -0500 (EST)

Version 0.05 of the Oedipus package for maintaining a hierarchical
database of Web links has been released.  (This package was originally
called the ODP package, but the new name is more memorable.)

Oedipus is a Python package for creating and maintaining hierarchical
trees of Web links.  An XML format compatible with the Open Directory
Project (ODP) is supported; refer to www.dmoz.org for more information
about the ODP.  In theory, you can load the entire ODP's database and
make it available using Oedipus; in practice, I haven't yet verified
that the code scales up to that amount of data.  A prototype Zope
product is included in the package that allows browsing through an
Oedipus database.

Versions 0.03 and 0.04 were never announced anywhere, so the list of
changes from 0.02 is significant:

     * Scalability has been improved; while I still haven't processed
       the whole ODP dataset, I've done the 75Mb structure file, and an
       unknown chunk of the content file.  It stopped when I got
       bored, not when the script crashed. :)

     * The code no longer require the XML-SIG's parser package;
       now it can use xmllib.py to parse input data.

     * Rearranged the Database class to use Metakit to store the data.
       It should still be possible to implement different persistence
       methods, such as Zope's BTree object or GDBM, but I don't feel
       much of a need to do that.  Accordingly, the GDBM and ZODB
       classes have been dropped.

     * Lots of other classes were rearranged, too.

     * The code can now be installed using the Distutils.

Oedipus can be downloaded from
http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/python/oedipus/ .

Two things I learned for sure during a particularly intense acid trip in my
own lost youth: (1) everything is a trivial special case of something else;
and, (2) death is a bunch of blue spheres.
    -- Tim Peters, 1 May 1998