[Zope-Annce] New PostgreSQL Database Adapters: psycopg and ZpsycopgDA

Federico Di Gregorio fog@mixadlive.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:31:44 +0100

Hi *,

	the guys here at initd (http://initd.org/) arre happy to announce
the release of psycopg, a Python/PostgreSQL driver module and ZPsycopgDA,
a Zope Database Adapter based on the psycopg driver.

Now, I'll answer the questions you asked... (_what_ questions? well...
follow me...)

Q. Why another postgresql dba? we already have pygres and popy!

A. That's true. We had some ideas about a performant, thread-safe
   driver and we wanted to hack a little bit. the resulting driver is
   slim, fast, with clean code and some nice features (see below.)
   Writing a Zope DBA was a logical consequence only because we use it.

Q. Should I switch to psycopg and zpsycopgda?

A. Not if you are happy with your current driver [and i hope it is popy ;-)]
   The only real reason is if you want the advanced features you can find
   only in psycopg:

       1/ level-2 thread safety
       2/ advanced type-casting system
       3/ automatic management of multiple phisical connections to the DB
          (one per thread) to speed up queries
       4/ extremely clean and maintainable code

   also, in a future release (0.5) zpsycopgda will support db and table
   management from zope management screens.

Q. Hey! you're from MIXAD LIVE, is psycopg a popy fork?

A. No, psycopg is 100% clean code. we had some ideas on how a db driver
   should workin a heavily multithreaded environment and we wanted to
   test them. that's all.

Q. Where can I download it?
A. http://initd.org/Software/psycopg (tarball and precompiled debian packages)

ciao and good hacking,