[Zope-Annce] Sounding out mailling list policies

Ken Manheimer klm at zope.com
Fri Jun 25 17:21:14 EDT 2004

There's been a proposal to better prevent spam-type garbage on prominent
zope lists by restricting postings to only those that come from
list-subscription addresses.  I'm considering experimenting with the
subscriber-originating restriction on a few of the highest-traffic lists
that i manage, and will go ahead and do so unless i hear strenuous
objections by tuesday of next week.

I'm planning to try this on the zope at zope.org and zope-dev at zope.org lists.
The restriction would be automatic rejection of any posts that originate
from anything other than subscriber addresses.  The rejection notice for
those messages would explain the policy and detail how to subscribe, plus
how to disable delivery to secondary addresses.  (Thanks to joe block for
that suggestion.)

If you have a serious objection, send a reply to me and to
zope-dev at zope.org, and we'll discuss it.  (Do not reply to zope-announce -
it's never for discussion.)

Duly,

Ken Manheimer