[Zope-Annce] Zope 3.0 final bug and cleanup days

Stephan Richter stephan.richter at tufts.edu
Mon Jun 28 10:12:51 EDT 2004

Hello everyone,

nearly a month has passed since the last release. I originally planned to
release Zope X3.0.0 final on or release candidate 1 on July 1. Due to a lack
of contributions towards X3.0.0 the past month, we will not able to make this
date. However, I am determined to not push the date much further back.
Therefore I call upon all experienced and in-experienced Zope 3 developers
and helpers on a bug and cleanup week!

The bug and cleanup days will be between July 6-9, 2004. If you would like to
work on tasks on July 5th, since it is a US holiday and you have time, then
feel free to do so; I will most likely be around!

Here is an overview of tasks to do:

1. Fix all outstanding (and applicable) Collector issues. The collector is
located at http://collector.zope.org/Collectors/Zope3-dev. There are about 70
open bugs, of which at least 20 are credible and fixable (I think).

2. Start removing XXX comments. Christian's XXX report can be found at
http://amy.gocept.com/~ctheune/XXXreport.html. There are about 500 of these
comments. Not all need to be fixed now, but many should. Christian, maybe it
would be useful to make a Zope application out of this report, so that we can
comment on the XXX comments?

3. Finish the tasks listed in the
http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SpringCleaningDay2004 proposal. It is not spring
anymore, but I think these defects should be fixed in the source before the
release.

4. Documentation format. Currently we have an unhealthy mix of reST and STX
formatted doc strings in the Zope 3 source code. Since we decided to go with
reST, we should make sure that all doc strings are formatted this way. This
is a great task for non-developers to get to know Zope 3's source.

5. Update/Create translations. The only languages that are in decent/good
shape right now are English, Russian, German and French. If you are
interested in Zope X3.0.0 supporting your favorite/native language, then
please let me know and I get you started.

The list above is in order of importance. We definitely need to get the bulk
of 1-3 done before the final release. I want as many obvious bugs as possible
gone and a solid documentation via the API doc tool. BTW, one way of ensuring
the quality of the user interface would be to write functional tests!

Please use the Zope3-Dev mailing for discussing the tasks and letting me know
that you are willing to help out.

Thanks!

Regards,
Stephan