[Zope-Annce] ANNOUNCE: Pound - reverse proxy and load balancer -
roseg at apsis.ch
Thu Nov 4 08:47:40 EST 2004
This is to announce the release of Pound v1.8.
Changes in this version:
- added support for non-blocking connect(2)
- added support for 414 - Request URI too long
- added RedirectRewrite directive - to prevent redirect changes
- added support for NoHTTPS11 value 2 (for MSIE clients only)
- added support for HTTPSHeaders 3 (no verify)
- fixed bug if multiple listening ports/addresses
- fixed memory leak in SSL
- flush stdout (if used) after each log message
- assumes only 304, 305 and 306 codes to have no content
- fixed problem with delays in 302 without content
- fixed problem with time-outs in HTTPS
- improved threads detection code in autoconf
- added supervisor process disable configuration flag
- tweak for the Location rewriting code (only look at current GROUP)
- improved print-out for client certificate information
The software is at version 1.8 (production quality). Further testing
(especially under heavy loads), improvements and suggestions are
What is Pound (from the Web page)
- a reverse-proxy: it passes requests from client browsers to one or
more back-end servers.
- a load balancer: it will distribute the requests from the client
browsers among several back-end servers, while keeping session
- an SSL wrapper: Pound will decrypt HTTPS requests from client browsers
and pass them as plain HTTP to the back-end browsers.
- an HTTP/HTTPS sanitizer: Pound will verify requests for correctness
and accept only well-formed ones.
- an HTTP/1.1 to 1.0 proxy.
- a fail-over-server: should a back-end server fail, Pound will take
note of the fact and stop passing requests to it until it recovers.
- a request redirector - it will pass client requests to separate groups
of servers, based on required URL and the presence or absence of headers
Pound was specifically developed to serve as a front-end for multiple
instances of Zope running on top of a common ZEO storage, but can be
used with any other web server. A patch for the Python source of z2.py
is available as part of the distribution to allow using Pound's SSL
Pound is currently in use in several medium to large volume sites and
seems to be holding up quite well: largest reported site does about 5.5
million requests per day, peaking at over 450 requests per second. The
speed is well superior to other, equivalent solutions, the configuration
is much simpler and the necessary resources (CPU, RAM, disk) are much,
Pound is distributed under the GPL.
For further information, download, etc. please see
Pound has its own mailing-list - just send a message to
pound-subscribe at apsis.ch in order to join.
Enjoy and let me know how it works for you.
Postfach, Uetikon am See, CH-8707
Tel: +41-1-920 4904
More information about the Zope-Announce