[Zope-PTK] DemoPortal's PortalWizard and other wizards broken

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:20:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Ricardo Marques wrote:

> In fact, upgrading to 2.1.6  *did*  solve the problem.
> I already sent an email to Toshio Matsuda thanking for
> his very quick and efficient reply.

  Good to hear it.  I wonder what the difference in pre 2.1.4 is.

> Downloading the source file (Zope-2.1.6-src.tgz) and
> trying to install it also gave me problems when I
> wrote the python -O w_pcgi.py command at the Shell,
> under user nobody:

  It looks as though you don't have enough of Python installed.  If
you compile and install it yourself, you end up with some support
files being installed which Zope's wo_pcgi.py uses to compile the C
modules.  Unfortunately, a lot of the prepackaged Python distributions
don't include them, somewhat annoyingly.  There is usually an
additional 'python-dev' package in these cases.  Really, I don't think
there's any call to split this stuff out, but I don't run the Universe
(count your blessings).

> Knowing how to work  *with it*  is a whole different
> story however, and the Zope Portal Toolkit Guide at
> http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/PTK.html is not yet
> complete which makes the learning curve quite steeper.

  This is true.  Writing documentation is easy.  Writing _useful_
documentation is hard.  With this in mind, I think I'll move the rest
of the documentation into the ZWiki, so people can scribble on it and
say things like, "I need more information on this part," or, "This is
wrong, what's actually happening is..."

> PS: I will probably start using my softhome.net
> address from now on, since the wonderful traffic of
> this mailing list is filling my Inbox quickly  :)

  Ha-ha, you must not be on the main zope list.

--
Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228