[Zope-PTK] ZTopic scenario

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:37:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> That's OK. I don't have any reason to prevent people from seeing content
> from the other schools. It just happens that nearly all user contributed
> content will exist in the context of a classroom, department, or school.
> Unless I'm misunderstanding, using ZTopics will at the very least help with
> the sorting and searching.

  Think of ZTopics being to a ZCatalog what DMOZ or Yahoo is to the
Internet.  Actually, they're quite simple to install and use, you
should just take a look.

> For example, a student at Foo Elementary should see the lunch menu
> for Foo Elementary and not Spam Elementary. I like the idea of
> confining ZCatalog searches to a particular topic.

  You can't search 'within' a topic, but I can see how you might
improve ZTopic to support this.  It wouldn't be difficult.

  I like your ideas about filters, below.  I can see how it would be
very useful for not only administrators, but individual members to be
able to apply global (to them) filters to the catalog.  It would be an
easy feature to hack into a portal, a bit harder to add to the PTK in
a friendly and consistent fashion.  But definately a desirable
feature!  I'll ponder on it for a while.

Mike.