[Zope-PTK] FYI: Sad news for PTK

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 07:25:50 -0400

Matthew wrote:
> I mostly agree with Chris.  I think putting it up on
> SourceForge would be a
> great idea (rather than trying to imitate Sourceforge in
> Zope) since they have
> the tools and the orientation to taking care of open-source
> projects (ergo: you
> don't need to build all the stuff to support the project yourself).

Right.  This certainly makes a lot of sense.  However, when I proposed
this on the Zope list about two months ago, it was roundly rejected.  Go
figure.

Let's not get too wrapped up with the _implementation_ of how to
collaborate.  If people are genuinely interested in working together,
we'll find a way to do it.

>   When it comes to maintainers: Bugzilla, for instance, just
> recently switched
> maintainers.  Mozilla.org still maintains full control of the
> source and has
> ultimate authority on what will/won't go in, but they turned
> control of the
> repository and bug-tracking to Tara.  She's been doing a
> pretty swell job.
> Who outside of Digital Creations has been extremely active in
> the PTK community
> and could wrap her head around the code base?  Once you've
> figured out who the
> most active contributors aside from Mike have been, choosing
> a maintainer
> becomes a matter of finding out who wants the job.

That's a good point.  Natural selection just comes...naturally. :^)
Still, we have to get to the point where there are people besides
Digital Creations making checkins.  This should happen for Zope itself,
and I view PTK as a good starting point to get our feet wet.

>   My company uses the PTK as a documentation repository for all of our
> development and operations.  It's been reasonably successful,
> and has taken us
> leaps and bounds away from our old model of documentation,
> where everybody just
> stuck docs on shares on their hard drives.  Some still do,
> but a swift kick
> every now and then helps them remember...  The project needs
> a maintainer,
> and needs to continue pushing forward.  Slowing it down just
> because the
> maintainer left would be a bad thing, considering the
> progress it's made and
> the bugs yet to be fixed!

I'll be honest with you, in your case, an official case study would go a
LONG WAY towards justifying resources we can devote to it.  It's worth
more than a purchase order.  Can you work with me to provide one?  We
can make it one of the "Spotlights" on Zope.org if you want to attract
attention, or keep it more hush hush if the politics are hard.

Feel free to reply just to me to iron this out.

--Paul