[Zope-PTK] Hooks

Fabio Forno sciasbat@inorbit.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:36:49 +0200

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> > Perhaps it's a crazy idea, but what about a fully configurable hook map,
> > so that we allow the users to add the hook they want?
>
> An interesting idea.  The one concern I have is that users really won't
> care about writing hooks for most things.  For any sufficiently sizable
> change, users will want to write subclasses, not hook implementations.
> If you can develop an argument against that, I see no reason why we
> shouldn't write a generalized "hookable tool generator" that does all
> the work for us.

I see only one reason: when the change is small and you need to hang
into a function which doesnt't provide hooks, you're forced to subclass.
Perhaps it could be possible to get the same behaviour with other
solutions, but we can't say in advance.

In the case of fixed hooks, I think that only the ones described in the
previous Policy interface are certainly necessary.

ByE,
FF