[Zope-PTK] Member Publishing

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:09:02 -0500

"Pack, Aaron E" wrote:

> I was reading in the PTK User's Guide about member's publishing content.
> It says that it will originate in the member's My Stuff folder (or member
> folder, if I understand it correctly), but that by use of the catalog, the
> content can be published to the appropriate place in the site tree.

Members can originate content anywhere they have appropriate
permissions.
The standard DemoPortal installation gives normal members that
permission
only in their "own" folders, which they access via the "My Stuff" link.

> What is the catalog?

The catalog is the core of the PTK's searching engine;  it indexes and
caches various attributes of content objects, and filters queries
against
it based on the requestor's permissions.  Clever use of the catalog can
surface content in multiple "locations" within the portal, even though
the objects themselves are only present in a single location.

> Is there an existing method in the PTK (0.9.2) for the
> member to indicate where they would like the content published?

As I noted above, if the member has the appropriate permissions in that
location, they can create the content directly in it.  Many sites prefer
not to give such permissions to all members, and instead rely on the
portal's workflow model and/or cataloguing (including the soon-to-be
released "topics" product) to move or surface it from the member folder.

> After it is published, if it must be manually moved by a Manager, does
> the original member still have access to the file for editing?

This policy is embodied in the (replaceable) 'portal_workflow' tool;
the default policy does not move content (although we have mechanisms
to allow that).  Instead, content which has been submitted for review
is "approved" by a member with the "Reviewer" role (the manager can
delegate this role to trusted members), and then becomes available to
catalog queries by non-privileged viewers (before approval, only the
owner, the manager, and reviewers can find the content in the catalog).

The PTK explicitly intends to encourage site builders to replace or
configure its policies by replacing or configuring the "tools" which
embody them.  For instance, I am working today on a replacement workflow
tool for a consulting client whose content management system is based
on the PTK.