[Zope-PTK] Member Publishing

Kent Polk kent@goatnospamhill.org
11 Dec 2000 20:29:36 GMT

On 7 Dec 2000 15:05:00 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>"Spicklemire, Jerry" wrote:
>>         Workflow = State Machine
>>
>> So obvious, but it just never hit me before.
>
>Tres just came up with a few more ideas today that build upon that
>concept.
>
>It's been in the plan for a while to create a portal_workflow object
>that would allow a manager to create and configure a state machine.  But
>you could do even more if:

(rearranged items)

>  - permissions were assigned to transitions.
>
>  - all protected actions on an object, including those that don't
>change the object's workflow status, were protected by transitions
>rather than permissions.  (Otherwise the number of necessary permissions
>explodes quickly.)

Agreed, but could you please explain a bit more about 'transitions'
in this context.

>  - the portal_workflow object were allowed complete control over the
>"workflow_status" attribute of all portal content.  The portal content
>would be ignorant of its own workflow status.
>
>  - you could have multiple state machines and you could assign state
>machines to meta types.
>
>  - objects could participate in multiple state machines (workflows)
>simultaneously, making substates possible.
>
>Very hot stuff.  I can't wait to see how it will all work.

Ok. You are getting serious with this stuff. :^)

These items indicate precisely the sort of workflow that we are
trying to design now, even down to the subworkflows. How do we sign
up to help work on this?