[Zope-PTK] Member Publishing

Michael Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:04:25 -0800

Renato De Giovanni wrote:

> So, I decided to take some time to create a _simple_ web interface that
> could represent a state machine, and an entity-relationship diagram that
> could store this information (I know it's not the most appropriate kind
> of diagram in this situation, but the concepts are similar to other
> diagrams). Maybe you find something useful there:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/rdg/stuff/workflow/

This looks really good but I have a few improvements to
suggest:

The transitions should be grouped with their originating
states in the first table, in a third column.

The transitions table of the state-machine screen should be
dropped, and transitions out of a state should be added from
within that state's edit screen.

If transitions are tightly coupled with their originating
states, then the transition edit screen does not need a
dropdown for the originating state, but only needs a text
label. The destination state should still be a dropdown.

the main state-machine screen needs a multiple select input
field that lists all acquired roles. The selected roles
appear in the state and transition edit screens, the
unselected ones do not.

I don't think that a special interface needs to be built for
sub-state-machines. It should be sufficient to create a
state-machine with the same id as a state either in the same
folder or somewhere below the folder containing the
state-machine object, and let acquisition do the rest of the
heavy lifting.

HTH,

Michael Bernstein.