[Zope-PTK] Stability rule-of-thumb (fwd)

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:45:32 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> Quick question: do you plan to use the full-blown GUF model with its fancy
> cookies and caches and all that, or is it going to be more like the
> currently released MemberFolderBase, just with support for adding
> getUser/etc. methods?  Some of my apps have cookie compatibility issues
> with the GUF, but should work fine with the released MFB class, so I'd like
> to suggest/request keeping an extremely plain-jane MFB available, if that's
> possible.

    Well, this is what I'm presently evaluating.  I _am_ leaning towards
using GUF as the basis of the membership objects.  I'm talking to Stuart
Bishop right now about extending GUF in ways needed by PTK (user add
interface, persistent propertysheets, back end manager).  These would
hopefully become standard GUF services (though all GUF-plugins may not
support these new features).  The advantage to the PTK is that it moves a
lot of complicated code I don't fully understand out of the PTK.  Plus, it
involves community members (read: I don't have to maintain it),
potentially leverages a nice plugin architecture (So you don't have to
care about issues like user storage when you're building a portal, just
plug it in after the fact) and advances a more sophisticated UserFolder
standard than BasicUserFolder.  If you have issues with GUF, now is the
time to raise them so they can be resolved before this stuff goes into the
PTK.

--
Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228