[Zope-PTK] morphing identity

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:00:43 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> Hitting shift-reload did fix the problem, but I don't see that behavior
> when I'm accessing my regular, non-PTK Zope site.

    This convinces me that you do indeed have some sort of cache between
your client boxes and the server, which is doing some really awful things.
Perhaps the difference in behaviour compared to your non-PTK site is due
to the fact that the PTK doesn't use HTTP-based authorization and your
vanilla Zope site probably does.  I'm guessing that your cache uses this
as a part of the key it uses to find cached results.

    Here's a quick-and-dirty fix (read: hack) to try; in
PTKBase/MemberFolder.py there are two lines which raise 'Login
Required'.  They look like this:

                raise 'Login Required', self.loginForm(self, request)

    Replace this with "raise 'Unauthorized'".  This will cause the
standard browser authentication window to pop up instead of redirecting
you to a login form.  You should be able to log in using HTTP-auth and
avoid this caching nastiness.

    I wouldn't advise doing this on a production site.  I'd like to find a
better solution.  Is there any way to explicitly say, "Do not cache this
page"?  Or, preferably, "This page is user-dependant" or something
similar?

--
Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228