[Zope-PTK] ZopePTK install - success and a ton of Qs

Darcy Clark darcyc@engin.umich.edu
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:56:20 -0500

FYI - some notes from my first look at the PTK. At first I was a little
daunted by the prospect of having to use CVS to download the PTK, but I
just *had* to check it out.....anyway, CVS wasn't that hard to get the
hang of and the instructions at
http://classic.zope.org:8080/Community/CVS_public_access were very
helpful.

I'm running 2.1.3 under WinNT Server 4.0. The install instructions at
http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/install were also easy to follow and I
now have Portal in my "Add" menu.

Creating a new portal was very easy - instructions were clear - and my
portal is visible at http://msewww.engin.umich.edu:8080/testing/PTKTest

By clicking "My Stuff" I was able to create each of the content choices
(i.e. news item, link and a document).

One small problem - the icons next to each item in the My Stuff view are
broken. I think that was reported before.

Clicking on the "Breaking News" link in the Menu, I now see my new News
Item. I automatically looked for an edit button near my news item, but
obviously I have to go back to the My Stuff menu to do edits....if you
created the story or a 'super user', it might be more convenient to have
an edit button right here.

Question....how do I get this news item to show up on the Home page
under Zope News ? In fact I don't see where to edit the Home page.

Question...I created a link called Yahoo....how do I refer to it easily
in news items and documents...is there or will there be a Glossary-type
feature that allows content to be easily refered to and included in
other content ?  (this request will be familiar to Frontier users)

small problem.....when I edit my content, the icon for the content type
in the menu is broken.

Oops....hold on..I now see the Publish News Item option in the menu. I
assume as I am logged in as a 'super-user', my content will be
automatically published and won't need reviewing.

problem...I tried a search using the keyword 'test' and got 2
results....unfortunately when I try to click the links in the list, the
link is incorrectly pointing to
http://testing/PTKTest/Members/darcyc/News%20Item  as opposed to my
server (http://msewww.engin.umich.edu:8080)

I then logged out and joined up as a member. Same icon problems as
before. I have a default index_html document...I create a news item as a
member and submit it for review ... where is it going ? Who is reviewing
it ? Checking the Breaking News link, I see that my new news item is
listed there already.....is this how it supposed to work ? I supppose
the review functionality is yet to be built.

my 2 cents are that the PTK looks like it will eventually be a great
Product. My interest in it is primarily as a tool that I can modify to
suit my own needs. I don't necessarily want a portal tool, but the more
user-friendly nature of the PTK (as opposed to the default Zope
interface) and the membership features should serve as an important
starting point for group-managed websites. With this in mind, where
should I be looking to get under the hood, so to speak ? I don't really
understand the relationship between DemoPortal and PTKBase and PTKDemo ?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm no Zen Zope Master...but I have used
Zope for a few months now and plan on using (and possibly modifying) the
PTK in the very near future.

cheers,

Darcy